Attributing research and compilation too: Carolyn Marquardt Barker (1939 – 2018)
~ El Reno Sanitarium
Doctors John A. Hatchett and Henry C. Shuttee built the El Reno Sanitarium in 1902 at 620 East Wade. It contained 20 beds at that time.
The first patient was C. F. McCain. He was treated for typhoid fever before the building was completed. The first nurse was Miss Ida Ferguson.
The three-story hospital was doubled in size in 1908. After 1910 seven adjoining buildings were used for a maternity home, a contagious diseases hospital, 3 buildings for nurses’ homes, and a large steam laundry with the second floor used for classrooms.
The first 12 years, the hospital received and treated 3, 179 patients. In 1937 it had a capacity of 36 beds.
In 1912 Dr. Thomas M. Aderhold became owner and Chief of Staff. The El Reno Sanitarium continued to serve the community until 1954 when Park View Hospital opened.
~ Nursing School
A training school for nurses was established at the El Reno Sanitarium in 1903. It was the first hospital in the state to adopt a regular course of training and graduate a class of trained nurses. Miss Floy Ben Bow was the first graduate in 1904.
Candidates for admission had to be in good health, educated and possess good common sense. They were on three month’s probation to see whether they were suitable to enter the school.
The student nurses worked nine hours during the day and ten hours at night. They were allowed a half day off during the week and a half day each Sunday.
The school was discontinued in 1929, after having graduated 101 women.
~ Dr. Thomas M. Aderhold lived at 405 S. Williams